Friday, February 20, 2009

Respond to a Job Advertisement and Request an Interview

Dear Hiring Manager,

I am writing to you in response to your Internet advertisement requesting applicants for the position of Technical Writer in Springfield University's archaeology laboratory. I hold bachelor's degrees in archaeology and English and have three seasons' experience in excavation and lab work, including data entry, artifact cataloging, and preparations for the various methods of artifact dating. In addition, I wrote the chapter detailing survey methods for Dr. John Doe's "Final Report on the Centerville Field School Project." This work involved transcribing the field notes onto Laboratory of Anthropology forms, mapping and recording sites by section, township, and province, as well as creating a narrative description of the project's survey methods.

The years spent in the English department have prepared me for the challenges of writing for a variety of readers, and much of my creative writing has been published. Also, under the guidance of Dr. Doe I have directed my efforts within archaeology toward writing. Archaeology needs writers to make it interesting, especially in this time of budget cuts and battles over land use.

I believe I would qualify as "proficient" in the use of most of the popular spreadsheet programs and other relevant computer applications. I have spent several months entering data and crunching numbers in the service of archaeology.

Please see the attached resume for further details of my qualifications. I will gladly provide references at your request. I can be reached at 555-5555. I look forward to meeting you in person and discussing my suitability for this position.

Sincerely Yours,
[Your Name]

No comments:

Post a Comment